Saturday, July 11, 2009

Structural Analysis and Design Using Excel Spreadsheet

Practicing as a structural engineer over the years has given me the opportunity to develop structural analysis and design programs using Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. During the course of developing the spreadsheets, I have also converted some of the spreadsheet into OpenOffice Calc.
The spreadsheet programs generally can carry out analysis and design of reinforced concrete and steel design in accordance to BS8110(1985) & BS8110 (1997), BS5950 (2000). Some of the programs are also available in CSA codes. Currently, I am also developing all the programs into Canadian CSA code as I am moving to Vancouver and would like to work as structural engineer there.
If you find my programs relevant and useful, please give me your comment. I would like to improve on them. If you are from the Canadian Civil and Structural Consulting community, I would appreciate you could recommend my blogs to them. It will help me to find job opportunity in the future.
In the next few blogs, I will give a list of the analysis and design programs that I developed and also how to use it. Screenshots of the programs will also be posted for viewers to understand the programs.
My spreadsheet programs were written from the perspective as a practicing engineer. They follow the sequence of design steps and output the results at important checks as per code requirements. Instead of the commercial programs that work like a black box, my programs will allow users to amend the formula so that each user can customize to their needs. At the sametime, some of the spreadsheet programs in the market can be to very detailed in the design calculation (which become too cumbersome to read), I output the key steps and results for manual checking, leaving the routine calculations hidden so that submisson become concise, simple and neat.
In the next few posts, you will find my programs as I explained further.

No comments: